Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

All You Need To Know About Getting Married At The Attorney Generals Office In Kenya

Joy Waweru | 5 months ago
All You Need To Know About Getting Married At The Attorney Generals Office in Kenya
All You Need To Know About Getting Married At The Attorney Generals Office in Kenya

The constitution of Kenya recognizes the family as the fundamental unit of society and as such has to be protected by the state.

According to the Marriage Act 2014, marriage is a voluntary union of a man and woman whether in a monogamous or polygamous arrangement.

Preconditions to meet to be in a legally recognized marriage in Kenya include; attaining consent age (18 and above), being in an opposite-sex relationship, and not being in a civil partnership with another party.

When it comes to legally recognized marriages in Kenya there are three categories; civil weddings, customary weddings, and religious weddings(Islamic, Hindu, and Christian )

Out of the three options, the civil option is the least complicated with the least expenses. You won’t need to cater to an entire village and service providers.No need for elaborate and exorbitant planning for cars and venues and themes.

Civil weddings are most viable if you want a low-profile wedding, do not want to break the bank, or want to tie the knot within the shortest period possible.

Civil marriages popularly known as “AG weddings” are conducted by the Registrar of Marriages, Deputy County Commissioners, or Assistant County Commissioners.

Civil marriages can either be conducted under a special license or a notice.

Conducting a marriage under notice means that before the marriage is registered both parties must place a 21-day notice. Both parties are required to be present while filling out the notice document.

To begin the process the couple visits the AG’s office at Sheria House and fills notice of intention to marry after three weeks of lapse the couple fills out an affidavit commissioned by the registrar of marriages after which the wedding date is booked.

To formalize this wedding you will only need to cough Ksh 3900.

On the material day after the lapse of the 21 days of notice, both parties will be required to carry valid identification cards or passports(copy and the original), colored passport photos, divorce decree, or death certificate in case either party had contracted a previous marriage.

An objection to a planned marriage can be filed within the 21-day window period with a legal reason. The objection should include the name of the aggrieved party, the reason for objection, proof of marriage, andthe  relationship with either party before the registrar of marriages.

The special license category is whereby the parties are unable to apply for the 21-day notice. To formalize their marriage they will be required to produce birth certificates and identification cards or passports, sufficient proof of being unmarried, colored passport photos, and a document showing cause of why they can’t wait for the 21 days notice when they are both Kenyans.

This option costs around 9700 shillings.

In addition for marriage between a Kenyan and a foreigner or foreigners wanting to officiate their Union in Kenya, an extra return air ticket, visa, and work permit must be produced.